Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 1996 07:39:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Richard J Kuhns <rjk@grauel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI tape drive problem in -current

On Mon, 9 Sep 1996, Richard J Kuhns wrote:

> Hardware: 120 MH Pentium, 32 MB RAM, BT946C controller, 2 Seagate
> Barracudas, Archive Viper tape drive, ASUS motherboard.
>
> I recently loaded -current on my home machine, which I had been using to

[...]

> I then tried to reload some stuff from my /usr backup (Infocom games, as it
> happens) -- no luck.  The tape positions itself when I put it in, but when
> I run "tar -tvf /dev/rst0", the light on the tape drive comes on for a
> fraction of a second, and that's it -- I get my prompt back.  There are no

Can you tell me *exactly* what your tape drive is reported as?
(dmesg is useful here)  Also send the results of `mt status'
after a boot *before* you do anything with the drive.

I had what I believe to be the same problem when I moved to
current.  I discovered the code for detecting the particular
device (archive viper) in the "know quirks" list was broken.  I
fixed it...for my drive but apparently not for yours.  Among
other things, when properly detected, the quirk list sets useful
defaults for the density.

If it is indeed this problem, you can temporarily get around this
by setting the density manually.  (see the mt man page)

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================