Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 1996 22:51:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dan Walters <hannibal@cyberstation.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Limiting bandwidth on a socket?  (SO_RCVBUF?)

I'm trying to come up with some way to limit the amount of bandwidth on a
socket, so I can have my mail and large files retrieve without slowing
down a telnet session that much.

I thought I could do this by setting SO_RCVBUF to a small value, but it
doesn't seem to change the window size at all when I look at it with
tcpdump.

I saw something about patches to fix a broken SO_RCVBUF implementation in
the mailing list archives, but can't seem to locate them / not sure if
they made it in the kernel in the first place.  If SO_RCVBUF would do what
I want, I'd like a copy of them.  :)

I could swear I saw a "low-bandwidth ncftp" or something of the sort on
sunsite.unc.edu a couple years ago, so I think this is possible (Well, at
least in Linux...).  It's apparently been deleted though.

Anyone know how to do this?

Dan Walters
hannibal@cyberstation.net