Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 09:10:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Mark Hannon <mark@seeware.dialix.oz.au>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, epamha@epa.ericsson.se, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Local X packages

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Mark Hannon wrote:

> The app-defaults is easy to fix:
> setenv XFILESEARCHPATH /usr/local/lib/X11/app-defaults/%N:\
>                        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/%N
> I'm sure you could even compile that into the X distribution
> if wanted.
>
> Otherwise what more needs to be done?  xmkmf would need to
> be configured/cloned to allow one to use Imakefiles.
>
> I can't see any other reasons to not seperate the core X11
> distribution from the rest of the packages.

It has been a while, so I don't remember all the issues, but I
spent a great deal of time trying to separate the core X
distribution from locally installed applications and I finally
gave up.  I think part of the problem is that the same imake
files are used to build and install the distribution as are used
to build applications.  Changing the imake files to install
somewhere else is non-trivial because the variables that control
where things get installed are also used to find tools, includes
and libraries in the X distribution during the build process. So,
if you change things so an install goes right, the build fall
over.  Non-trivial imakefile hacking will be involved to get
around this and after hacking the Motif 2.0 imake files to
compile with X11R6, I don't ever want to see another imake file!

However, if someone can figure out how to do it, I'm sure many
would be *very* grateful; it takes me far longer to upgrade X
than it does the rest of FreeBSD, and something always gets
spammed in the process.

-john