Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 22:24:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      Richard Straka <straka@inficad.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ie ethernet driver and Intel EtherExpress16

I recently upgraded to the 2.2-970422-RELENG kernel on my
486dx4-100 with an EtherExpress16. This computer is attached
to a Pentium 133 with an SMC EtherPower 8432BT with a 10base2
connection. When FTPing from the Pentium to the 486, I get
spurts of 925kb/sec and then 1-2 second pauses (according to
netstat). The following messages continually appear on the 486

ie: receive descriptors out of sync at 18
ie: reset

The number 18 in the message above varies between 0  and 40
something.

When FTPing from the 486 to the Pentium, the throughput is
about 15kB/sec with no kernel error messages.

With the old ix driver, I would consistently get between
700-800kB/sec both sending and receiving with an occational
ix: timeout  error message.

If anybody has any ideas as to what is happening, please let
me know. The change to the ie driver seems to have rendered
my EtherExpress16 card useless.

Richard Straka
straka@inficad.com