Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:27:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@denver.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Apache and Ports Policies in General

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Joshua Fielden wrote:

> While I do have to agree in theory with you, I went to Apache.org and
> got 1.2.1, and it compiled "out-of-the-box." It seems from the web page
> that they make a special point of listing FreeBSD as one of the
> platforms that it does do this on.

I wasn't aware that "compiling out of the box" would preclude a package
from making the ports collection.

Based upon many of the "I haven't read the FAQ/Handbook/archives/docs"
questions posted to this (and most) lists, IMHO having the latest stable
version in the "stable" ports tree makes sense (then we don't have to see
"I've heard about Apache...where do I get it and how do I install it?" on
the list :-) <big grin for the humor impaired>
--

John-David Childs (JC612)       @denver.net/Internet-Coach
System Administrator            Enterprise Internet Solutions