Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 17:53:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ben Hockenhull <benh@jpj.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Aironet, Ethereal and raw 802.11 frames

I'm running FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE on my Vaio and I'm trying to capture raw
802.11 frames using Ethereal 0.8.19 and a Cisco Aironet 350 series PCMCIA
card.

I don't seem to be able to grab raw 802.11 frames.  All the traffic I see
looks like it is composed of regular Ethernet II and 802.3 frames.  The
Ethereal archives mentioned that some 802.11 cards hand off wireless
traffic to the host computer as 802.3 frames, not as 802.11 frames, and
that in order to capture raw 802.11 frames, one had to be able to put the
802.11 card in question into monitor mode.

I can't figure out if this is possible with the Aironet card or not, and I
can't decide if this is a function of the an driver or of libpcap or what.
My guess would be that the Aironet card is capable of some kind of
monitor mode and that the an driver supports that, given the existence of
Airosniff, which is an 802.11 network discovery tool that presumably looks
at raw 802.11 frames to learn things.

Any ideas?

Ben

--