Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:35:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, <cvs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: overzealous cleaning of Attics in ports tree

> > Clearly a lot of history has been destroyed.  From a quick look at
> > distrib, doc, src and www it seems they have not been damaged.
>
> What history?  It's still in the repository.  Just under another name.

On my own computer, I can do:

	% find /home/ncvs/ports/Attic/
	/home/ncvs/ports/Attic/
	/home/ncvs/ports/Attic/WWW_SITE,v
	/home/ncvs/ports/Attic/YEAR2000,v

	% find /home/ncvs/ports/audio/aumix/patches/Attic/
	/home/ncvs/ports/audio/aumix/patches/Attic/
	/home/ncvs/ports/audio/aumix/patches/Attic/patch-aa,v
	/home/ncvs/ports/audio/aumix/patches/Attic/patch-ab,v
	/home/ncvs/ports/audio/aumix/patches/Attic/patch-ac,v
	/home/ncvs/ports/audio/aumix/patches/Attic/patch-ad,v

Where has the history for those files gone?  What about the ones in the
tarball I made?  Perhaps a few of these files were part of the
reorganization in October, but most were not. It looks to me as though, in
the main repositories, that history has been completely destroyed.  This
is not customary.  The only files which were supposed to have been purged,
according to what was discussed in October, were the ones which were moved
and renamed as part of the ports reorganization.  There was no talk about
wiping out these other files and I request that they be restored.  I am
willing to help restore them.
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt