Date:      Sat, 5 May 2001 23:47:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joseph Mallett <jmallett@newgold.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Joe Warner <rootman@xmission.com>, "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is Brett Glass to easy on RMS?

On Sat, 5 May 2001, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 09:16 PM 5/5/2001, Joe Warner wrote:
>
> >and I think it's high time to bury the
> >hatchet.  This rings especially true to me after re-reading Craig
> >Mundie's speech that condemns aspects of Open Source.  I get
> >more agitated each time I read it.
>
> Mundie's speech is irritating to me too, most especially
> because it intertwines some very valid points (It's true,
> for example, that "give-it-all-away" business models are
> foolish) with some obvious falsehoods. But the GPL, and
> Stallman's essays on the FSF site, do the same! As Adam
> has pointed out, Microsoft and the FSF are two sides of
> the same coin. Both are power-hungry and are out to hurt
> and to mislead.
>
> BSD should claim the ethical high ground here. When BSD
> says it's free software, it really means it. No nonsense
> about "free speech" vs. "free beer," or "keeping" software
> free by keeping it away from people who need it. BSD is
> free software. GPLed software isn't.

NetBSD has a page about that, does FreeBSD? In any case, making a big deal
out of it makes the BSD community look like they want publicity because of
it. Modestly stating that freedom to use and redistribute are important to
the community as a whole, however, is tasteful, justified, and, unlike all
of the GPL advocacy that says the same thing, true.

--
[ Joseph Mallett           <jmallett@[newgold.net|xmrg.com|xMach.org]> ]
[ xMach Core Team         xMach: Proactively Unbloated Microkernel BSD ]

Support my computer addiction buy something from http://www.jmallett.org