Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 1997 22:29:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
Subject:   Re: mcAffee Anti Virus

Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us> on Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 said:

> I was checking out the Anti-virus programs for FreeBSD by McAffee
> and ran it on my system.  It showed that I had SEVERAL files infected with
> a SYSLOCK virus.  Any one know about this stuff?
>
> Is it worth buying, and is SYSLOCK a real threat?

Chris,

I tried out the Mcafee ViruScan for FreeBSD ("uvscan") and had the same
results.  I scanned a large collection of PC files and a hundred or so
were reported to have this virus.  Given that many of the files were GIFs
and other pure data formats I was skeptical of the results.

So... I spend an hour or so chatting to a nice guy at Mcafee tech support.
I mailed him a supposedly infected file (a Powerpoint file) and he scanned
it with his Linux and DOS versions of VirusScan and found no sign of
infection.  He sent the info off to development so the bug can be fixed.

A general note to all:  I was surprised and encouraged that Mcafee had a
FreeBSD version.  Assuming that they fix the bug, it would be a good thing
if a bunch of us bought it to demonstrate that there _is_ a market for
FreeBSD commerical software.

The list price is $200.  I was utterly amazed at how fast it blew through
scanning 700 megs of PC files.

anyhow...
---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx