Date:      Sun, 11 May 1997 17:07:40 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RiscCom N2x (srcx and srx drivers) probs with 2.2.1-RELEASE

I'm trying to swap or gateway (an aging linux box) for a shiny new
2.2.1-RELEASE one the link is a BT NTU to a 64K line plugged into a
RISCom/N2x card on the box.

iv'e compiled a kernel with sppp and the sr driver - correct irq's etc the
card probes fine and i can ifconfig it up etc.

the problem comes when trying to persuade paclkets to go out of it - try as
i might ping'ing or otherwise trying to utilise the line returns 'network is
down' or 'host unreachable'

i'm bringing it up like this

ifconfig sr0 inet 194.207.1.2 netmask 0xfffffffc 194.207.1.1

with 194.207.1.2 being the local end and 194.207.1.1 the remote one

and routing something like this

route add -net 194.207.1.0 -netmask 0xfffffffc -interface sr0

which pauses for ages before it goes through

and finally

route add default 194.154.1.1

ifconfig sr0 debug

produced a regular stream of debugging output (presumably from the remote
machine trying to talk to us)

the one thing i'm not 100% certain is weither we're ment to be using the ppp
or HDLC protocols on the line - from what i can divilge from the linux box
it's ppp (it was setup before my time and sadly lacks documentation) would
using the wrong encapsulation protocol produce these symptoms? is there a
 way to tell what the links using? any ideas?

(the source used is straight 2.2.1-RELEASE - have there been any significant
changes to the code since then?)

--
I've got a
		 *Universal Turing Machine*