Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 17:27:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 CD-ROM : Package dependencies up the creek ?

    > I was thinking more towards a short list of things that a newbie
    > (or almost anyone) would need within a few hours of starting a
    > fresh install.  The "just to get going" packages, not the "this
    > is what we run on our production machines" packages.  Many of
    > the things you listed do make sense for a "just to get going"
    > list, but certainly things like apache are not needed early in
    > the game.  And I'd argue that for something like apache you
    > might want to download and build the latest version anyway (I
    > know I would), so there's no point in installing the package
    > version just to replace it a few hours later.

That is true, but the idea of profiles and a more copious choice of what
you might want to install is not a bad idea either I think.

But for the initial installation before a package manager shows up,
maybe you are right. That should be kept clean and nice and simple. But
if bash is in the list, aren't people going to argue that jbsh (Joe
Bloe's shell) should be in that list as well? Bash is pretty standard
but anyway....

    > > And oh, by the way, guys, you're wonderfull. I spend about
    > > 14 hours (at work and home) a day behind a computer running
    > > FreeBSD and love every second of it.
    >
    > Also, your message sounds like you were writing it to the
    > entire mailing list, but you only sent it to me...
Hm, well, maybe I should use one of those MS tools that send it to the
entire world by default in Word format with a picture of me included.
Nah...

Thanks. Corrected.

STA-ISIS, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, Italy
building: 27A
tel.: +39 332 78 9549
fax.: +39 332 78 9185