Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:32:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Mike Muir <mmuir@es.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: followup to apm problems.

Are you running CURRENT?

Could you check whether you have at least rev. 101 of
src/sys/i386/apm/apm.c

Nick

1.101 Sun Aug 22 14:48:00 1999 UTC by iwasaki
Diffs to 1.100

Fix `key release event prevent suspend' problem.  We don't need
`sleep 1; zzz' trick now.

- APM BIOS Call for suspend/standby now should be issued with delay.
- Delay for suspend/standby can be adjusted by using sysctl(8) interface
  (eg. sysctl -w machdep.apm_suspend_delay=3).

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Mike Muir wrote:

 > Ive been following the apm problems and changes in apm threads in hope
 > that I would fix the problems that I too am having.
 >
 > I am using the latest sources for apm, apmconf and apmd, as well as the
 > kernel. (as of 23/8/99, NZST, which is yesterday evening)
 >
 > dmesg is:
 >
 > apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
 > apm: APM BIOS version 0102
 > apm: Code16 0xc00f0000, Data 0xc00fdfa0
 > apm: Code entry 0x00008010, Idling CPU enabled, Management enabled
 > apm: CS_limit=0xffff, DS_limit=0xffff
 > apm: Engaged control enabled
 > apm: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2
 > apm: Slow Idling CPU enabled
 > Add hook "default suspend"
 > Add hook "default resume"
 > ---and then later on
 > psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
 > Add hook "PS/2 mouse"
 >
 > after going 'apmconf -e'
 > apm shows:
 >
 > APM version: 1.2
 > APM Managment: Enabled
 > AC Line status: on-line
 >  <blah blah stuff about batteries which i dont have - desktop computer>
 > Resume timer: disabled
 > Resume on ring indicator: enabled
 > APM Capacities:
 >         global standby state
 >         global suspend state
 >         resume timer from standby
 >         resume timer from suspend
 >
 > ----
 > 'apm -Z' for standby jumps into standby mode for like.. an instant, then
 > comes right back out (while playing mp3)
 >
 > dmesg:
 >
 > APM ioctl: cmd = 0x2000500c
 > Received APM Event: PMEV_STANDBYRESUME
 > Execute APM hook "default resume."
 > resumed from suspended mode (slept 00:00:00)
 > Execute APM hook "PS/2 mouse."
 >
 > 'zzz' or 'apm -z' for suspend jumps into suspend mode, and just the same
 > way, comes right back out (while playing mp3s again)
 >
 > dmesg:
 >
 > APM ioctl: cmd = 0x20005001
 > Execute APM hook "default suspend."
 > Received APM Event: PMEV_NORMRESUME
 > Execute APM hook "default resume."
 > resumed from suspended mode (slept 00:00:01)
 > Execute APM hook "PS/2 mouse."
 >
 > it should be noted that the cpu fan does turn off momentarily for both
 > of these events, and the mp3 that is playing stops, then starts up again
 > where it left off.
 > Even without playing anything through the sound device, it does the same
 > thing.
 > If i leave the thing on with no activity, while running apmd, it goes
 > into suspend or standby (depending on the timers set in the bios) every
 > now and again, but jumps back out as soon as it does.
 > Also, all the PM timer interrupts are disabled.
 >
 > Motherboard is an Abit BH-6
 >
 > cheers,
 > mike.

ISIS/STA, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy