Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 20:39:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        hoek@hwcn.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fnord0: disabled, not probed.

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > You check dmesg for each and every time you boot your computer?
> > Indeed, you are a better man than I!
>
> No, I check it if I have unexplained problems.  Besides, I learned to
> read the significant stuff scrolling at 19.2 a long time ago...  8-).

Which means you don't fix things until _after_ you've had
unexplained problems...

> > Besides, only a schmuck would take action A, which has an unknown
> > result, and assume that reaction C is unrelated.  :)  (Where A is
> > disabling devices he doesn't recognize and C is a missing hdd :).
>
> I'd agree, except for "device npx0 ..." shoots a whole in your thesis.
> It claims to be optional (by having a line in the configuration file,
> it is implied that it need not be configured in a minimal kernel).

It's a good thing we weren't discussing kernel configuration
files, then!  :)

> If the entire source tree were internally consistent, then you'd
> have a case.

Regardless of wether I have a case or not (I happen to think that
in the specific instance I do -- someone brand new to the OS
should assume that things going wrong are their fault and not the
result of an `internally inconsistent' OS) little Johnny is still
not going to benefit from a thousand or so "disabled, not probed"
messages.

Hm.  Come to think of it, Johnny might not be aware of the dmesg
command or scrollback capabilities, making it all the more
important that only truly relevent information is spewed forth at
him.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk