Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 00:28:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@I23.EU.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: laptop credit card modem & emacs fails

Thank you for your reply.

I have since rebuilt the kernel from the PAO /stand/sysinstall. Now
instead of showing a zp probed, I have card0 - card3 devices in /dev.

My PCMCIA card does indeed have four slots, and the Xircom credit card
modem is plugged into the first card0 slot.

Setting the device in ppp.conf to /dev/card0, now allows user PPP to
attempt to dial (before there was no valid device to set it to).

It attempts to dial out, but there is no dial tone, the little light on
the credit card modem dongle does not light up and dial fails.

Now I wonder is there further tweaking I can do, or am I stuck with an
incompatable credit card modem? How can I find out? If I do find that the
Xirocm is not compatable, the PAO installer has a list of known good
modems.

Next step (unless I get further advice) is to try hooking the laptop up to
an external modem and trying that. At least that would allow me to access
ports, but it is not a mobile computing solution.

Thanks again,
Ken