Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:17:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Zippy <seth@interport.net>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netscape browser

Just FYI (please forgive me if this is out-of-line, but it's my first
email to this group):

I spoke with some Netscape developers on the 16th.  They confirmed that
Microsoft will be porting MSIE to Linux [1].  I asked them what it would
take to get FreeBSD on their list of "Officially Supported" platforms.
They said that there is interest among the developers [2], but that they'd
need emails sent to nav-support@netscape.com to gauge interest.

Can we get the word out?  I don't think spamming them is a great idea, but
one email per address, short, polite, and to the point, might get us a
native port that's supported.  After that we might be able to talk them
into porting their server applications :)

If you need more info, please let me know.  Thanks.

SB

[1]  According to the developer I talked to, Microsoft's slogan for this
project is "Bringing the Internet to Unix".

[2]  My feeling is that it's worth their while to officially support a
native FreeBSD port, since we already have the option of running Linux
bins.  Since I think most people would rather run a native port than an
emulated one (comments?), this gives Netscape an opportunity to "lock in"
the FreeBSD userbase before M$ gets an opportunity.

Seth Bromberger                                  seth@interport.net