Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 16:14:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Craig Johnston <caj@lfn.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   redunancy without RAID

An ISP I work for is about to move from Solaris to FreeBSD.

I wanted to provide some redundancy for the filesystems, but we're
working on a limited budget and probably can't go for hardware RAID.

I was envisioning using ccd to stripe and mirror (we'd like a speedup as
well as redundancy) all the non-root filesystems and having 2 identical
root filesystems on 2 different disks, with the one in use being dd'ed
or dumped to the other one nightly.  The duplicate would be left
unmounted when not in use.

Is vinum to the point where I should use it instead?  I've yet to
actually use ccd, any caveats?  Would it be possible to handle things
in such a way that if a non-root disk dies, the system continues to
run, or at least reboots unattended and comes up working?  What
about a root disk?  If some amount of coding would be required,
I'm up to it, but I'm not intimately familiar with FreeBSD's
innards.

Is there a cheap RAID solution that works well?