Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:01:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Josep Maria M. Blanquer" <blanquer@cs.ucsb.edu>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions

Hi,

  I've been taking a look on the SMP implementation on FreeBSD and
there's something that I'm probably missing...
I've read some docs about thoughts and implementation ideas:
(http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html ) but I'm not aware of
any other documentation, is there any more complete/up-to-date one?

  The version I've been looking at is FreeBSD-stable (of 2-3 weeks ago).

  The things I don't fully understant/I'm missing are:
  1- On the IO APIC configuration. When the IO APIC/(s) are configured
     to forward the interrupts to the local APICs, the delivery mode
     is set to the lowest priority and the destination mode is set up
     to physical! Is that the way it should go? From my understanding
     if you specify physical dest, you can only specify a single APIC
     ID right? So that means that all INT are always forwarded to the
     BSP (id 0)?
  2- The other question is the use of lastcpu field on proc structure:
     I've seen that the field is being updated on cpu_switch() but
     I couldn't find any place where the field is being used. Is this
     a pending work? I mean there is or has been any work on SMP
     specific scheduling? I mean, process balancing, local/global queues
     and so on?

  Thanks,

  Josep M.