Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 10:16:36 +0100 (MET)
From:      Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speaking of 3.4...

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Forrest W. Christian wrote:

> It would be really cool if FreeBSD would be able to do something like
> this.   In other words, I have to upgrade all my systems once a year and
> apply "bug fixes" the rest of the year.

Perhaps it's just a matter of taste.

But I'd prefer having one or two development tracks (-stable,-current)
and not diverting into many directions, like Cisco does.
If you want to have ssh, you have to use 12.0(X)S release.
But you this may not support all your hardware, supported in 12.0(7)X-whatever.

In FreeBSD, you have simple choice - if you want to experiment
with "Early Deployment" - go ahead with -current.

If you'd rather stay with "General Deployment" - go with -stable.

My personal opinion of a frequent cvsup'per is that one release
a year is sufficient, but I understand the need for off-line or
low-bandwitdth people on one side and the FreeBSD project
on the other side to deliver CD-ROMs frequently.

--
                 << Marcin Cieslak // saper@system.pl >>