Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 2002 16:09:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      beemern <beemern@ksu.edu>
To:        <smp@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Subject:   Re: For those with P4 SMP problems..

Terry Lambert wrote:

> The theory is that the BIOS has the corect information, but in the
> wrong order,

so the bios is fubar

> So the two "solutions" boil down to correcting the physical/logical
> mapping, or reloading the physical APIC ID register.

yet the register DOES indeed have the correct,in-order info?

tryin to do get some background in (smp) kernel booting/init, and ran
across this at http://www.cheesecake.org/~sac/smp.html :

"The base section consists of a set of entries that describe either
processors, system busses, I/O APICs, I/O interrupt assignments, or local
interrupt assignments." .. "In particular, you will want to note the APIC
ID of each processor in the system, its version, and its type as well as
the address of the system's I/O APIC."

this matches (not surprisingly) exactly the array basetable_entry_types in
mp_machdep.c

so couldn't we simply re-init from the register? since apparantly things
are getting confused in the intermediate data structures?
(perhaps thru mptable_pass1 and/or mptable_pass2 ?)

> them start the APs simultaneously, and a side effect of this is that
> they don't care about order of start, they just care *that* they start

but we've got only one AP, so simultaneous startup shouldnt be an issue?

dont mean to be obtuse, just tryin to get a grip on whats happening and
what is supposed to be

right now i'm just doing a lot of rebooting with checkpoints in the code
so i can get a handle on the boot process and what code is doing what etc
etc

thanks for all your help!
nathan