Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:58:04 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Status of debugging with 1.4.1?

I'm running 1.4.1-p3 on FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #0: Tue Jul 29 18:12:32 BST 2003

I'm seeing a problem with one of our web applications (it's a
complicated beast sitting on top of jetspeed and tomcat). About 50% of
the time (like, when I'm sitting in front of the machine with my sleeves
rolled up :-/ ) it works perfectly. At other times, tomcat appears to
fail to finish initialising, sitting in a "poll" loop.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with tomcat, our software, the
threading library, or java. To begin with I would like to trace tomcat
- at least up until the point where it hangs - to at least narrow down
the field a bit.

Unfortuantely, jdb seems to be having an awful lot of grief in this
situation. Simple requests like "threads" will hang indefinitely.

Is jdb supposed to be working as of patchset 3? ... or am I slightly
behind the times? If there's a better way to get thread tracebacks out
of java I'd love to hear it.

jan

PS. I'm sorry to be so vague but this problem is an intermittent one
that only appears to show itself with this complex code-base, and I'm
having trouble sorting out where it's hanging.

On modesty: whoever said "it's hard being perfect" obviously wasn't me.