Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:03:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joshua Myles <jamyles@mtu.edu>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adaptec RAID recommendations

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide on a 64-bit RAID card for a dual-Xeon server running
FreeBSD 4.8. The system is a Dell 2650, and the RAID controller will be
connected to a 14-disk U160 array with 73 GB Seagate disks. I intend to use
the disks in a RAID 5 configuration.

Anyway, as I understand it, Adaptec controllers are the most compatible with
FreeBSD, so I'm looking at the 3210S and the 2200S. The 3210S can use more
cache RAM (256 MB) than the 2200S, but the 2200S may be (theoretically)
faster due to a slightly faster processor (100 MHz 80303 vs. 66 MHz).

Does anyone have experience with either controller, or have some advice or
pointers for me?

Thanks,

Josh