Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 2003 10:50:02 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: possible compromise or just misreading logs

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Roger Marquis wrote:

> No production environment should be without Tripwire (1.3 is my
> favorite version).  With the right wrapper script
> <http://www.roble.com/docs/twcheck>; and off-line backups it's
> impossible to compromise a system without being detected.

Unless there's another step you're not mentioning (eg, rebooting to an
OS installed on a physically write-protected device, or remounting your
drive on another machine with a trusted OS) "impossible" is probably too
strong a term here.

There's an implicit trust in using a system to integrity-hceck itself.

We thought time travel was impossible. But that was now and this is then.