Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:19:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gordon Vrololjak <gvrdolja@nature.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   /usr/local/etc/rc.d doesn't run scripts

Hello,
I updated a system with freebsd using the makeworld process and after
doing the last mergemaster, I think I made some mistakes.

On startup, I had to add a default route to rc.conf to get networking to
work, but none of my services (apache2, mysql, etc) want to start up at
boot.  It is as if all of the files in /usr/local/etc/rc.d are not being
run at boot.

I tried adding a line to /etc/rc.conf -
local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d"
But still, none of the services start.  If I login as root and run the
scripts by hand, they come up.  Anyone have a clue what is going on?

system is:
5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #0: Thu Feb  5 16:22:24 PST 2004

Gordon Ante Vrdoljak                           	      Electron Microscope Lab
ICQ 23243541   http://nature.berkeley.edu/~gvrdolja   26 Giannini Hall
gvrdolja@nature.berkeley.edu                          UC Berkeley
phone (510) 642-2085                                  Berkeley CA 94720-3330
fax   (510) 643-6207 cell (510) 290-6793