Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:02:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PATCH for Apache: Add FreeBSD Server Layout

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Roger Marquis wrote:

> Though it may be the FreeBSD way hier(7), as it applies to /usr/local, is
> fundamentally flawed.  It violates the KISS principle in a big way and,
> with enough packages, is a system administration nightmare.  This, IMHO,
> is a large part of what's wrong with the otherwise excellent BSD ports
> collection.  I almost always parse <port>/patches/p* to edit out this
> cruft.  It has spared us hours of headaches during upgrades.

Storing all your configuration files in one directory is not simple?
Storing all your executables in one directory is not simple?
Storing all your libraries in one directory is not simple?

What do you do to upgrade, delete the whole directory and reinstall it
and restore your backup data? If you do, I'm glad I don't have to clean up
the mess that can make.

- bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
- ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -