Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 17:00:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Paul English <penglish@hydro.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Two RAID questions

1) I'm using some Arena external IDE RAID boxes(www.raidweb.com). These
are basically standalone embedded computers which have IDE interfaces for
the hard drives, and a SCSI interface to connect to the host computer. So
far they've worked well. The big problem is that fscking a 400GB
filesystem takes a long time when the system crashes.

In principle, should I have to do this? The RAID system has some amount of
RAM onboard, which I assume is used for write caching among other
things.

2) I understand that the 3ware Escalade Storage Switch products are
supported under FreeBSD. Are they all supported? Well? I'm particularly
interested in the 6800 (3ware claims FreeBSD support) and the 7810 and
7850 (3ware does not mention FreeBSD for the 7000 series, but mentions
Linux). This seems like a much nicer/cheaper way to go over the Arena.

Thanks,
Paul