Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 15:15:52 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@ozramp.net.au>
To:        bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Possible low level TCP bug

--298516809-874746121-844233352=:9161

Hello,

I am a relative newcomer to FreeBSD. Firstly, let me say, I think it's a
great OS! I will be going online full time soon, and I'll be using a
FreeBSD box as my router.

I have noticed some strange behaviour with packets originating from a
FreeBSD box. I first saw this when connecting to an IRC server which uses
FreeBSD, and just before I saw it come from my own FreeBSD box.

The behaviour is this: seemingly small amounts of complete data (ie: a
line on IRC) are split into two packets, and are sent about a second
apart. The trace from my current router (not a FreeBSD box) shows this
behaviour. Note the first packet has the PSH attribute.

At most other times a complete set 500+ bytes is sent in one IP packet.

One idea I had: possibly some sort of circular buffer quirk. I don't
know anything about the internals of FreeBSD so this is a wild guess.

Hope this helps, or you can enlighten me on this seemingly strange
behaviour, if it's supposed to do that!

Regards,
Rowan Crowe
Melbourne Australia

--298516809-874746121-844233352=:9161
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--298516809-874746121-844233352=:9161--