Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 13:39:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stefan Molnar <stefan@exis.net>
To:        Patrick Nadeau <pnadeau@maeve.physics.utoronto.ca>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM Token ring driver

> I can't say how much time it will take to write it though.  If you have any
> timeline you were thinking of you can let me know.
>
> Some changes will have to be made to the arp code since it now is hard coded to
> ethernet also.
>
> I have the driver probing and attaching the card right now which was easy.
> The hard part was getting technical info from IBM!  After two weeks
> of calling for a few hours each day and after talking to more than
> 100 different people I got the line that the information was
> ``IBM confidential'' and that I would have to sign a non-disclosure agreement!
>
> I managed to find the information a month later by total fluke and the most
> ironic thing is that it is _not_ confidential.
>
> I think there should be a law making it illegal to ship hardware
> without technical documentation.

have you tried olicom?  I heard that they are more forgiving
with opening up eith driver info.  I would like to do it, but
I am not a programer, I am a silly person.

Stefan

Stefan Molnar                  Team Exis.Net
stefan@exis.net                   Member EFF
Slightly Silly                     Team OS/2
east-coast-ambassador@soda.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
"She turned me into a Newt!  A Newt?
I got better."     -Monty Python