Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:41:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Burns <burns@odarragh.astro.utoronto.ca>
To:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  HELP!

Greetings,

I'm also a new and rather disappointed owner of an on-board SCSI bus.  We
have an AIC-7890/1 Ultra2 SCSI on-bard.  We have a UMAX SCSI Scanner attached
to it.  It detects it fine:

mandragona kernel: (scsi0) <Adaptec AIC-7890/1 Ultra2 SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 6/0
mandragona kernel: (scsi0) Wide Channel, SCSI ID=7, 32/255 SCBs
mandragona kernel: (scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 407 instructions downloaded
mandragona kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.4/3.2.4
mandragona kernel:        <Adaptec AIC-7890/1 Ultra2 SCSI host adapter>
mandragona kernel: scsi1 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
mandragona kernel: scsi : 2 hosts.
mandragona kernel:   Vendor: UMAX      Model: Astra 1200S       Rev: V2.9

But when you try to scan, it starts, stops abruptly, waits about 10 minutes
and then resumes, finally finishing the job.  In the /var/log/messages we
find:

Dec  9 17:58:05 mandragona kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 90, scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0 0x00 00 00 00 00 00

each and every time we try to scan.  It doesn't matter how big the scan is
(i.e., resolution) or what position we start scanning at.  Sometimes, if we
try two right in a row, the second will get through right away.  Wierd.
We're using kernel 2.1.131, with SCSI support and AIC7xxx support compiled
in.  We also tried setting the CONFIG_AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY to 20, in case
it was a timeout issue, but to no avail.  We also have SCSI emulation support
to spoof our HP CD-writer into looking like a scsi device, which works fine.

Needless to say, we've tinkered with almost every SCSI bios setting we could
find, but with no luck.  Just for completeness, the scanner IS working under
Windoze.

Chris

--
Chris Burns             | Invisible to telescopic Eye
University of Toronto   | Infinity, the star that would not die.