Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 22:14:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Nick Seraphin <nick@homer.eaglequest.com>
To:        "Tom T. Thai" <tomthai@future.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, linuxisp@friendly.jeffnet.org
Subject:   Re: system passwd to RADIUS

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Tom T. Thai wrote:

> Any one know how to convert a unix password file to RADIUS? I think doing
> a few thousand by had is very tedious :< Also, anyway to decrypt the
> password with SU access?

A simple perl script should do the conversion for everything but the
password.  I wrote one myself and it does a great job.

The whole purpose of encrypted passwords is so you can't decrypt them.  If
you used a Cray or something you could probably decrypt them, but I don't
know very many people that have Cray access.

Some versions of RADIUS (I don't know which... possibly the Merit one?)
have a field for "Encrypted-Password" that you can use instead of
"Password" in your RADIUS records.  In this case, it's a simple case of
copying the encrypted password from the passwd file and putting it in the
users file.  I wish Livingston RADIUS supported this.

-- Nick

Nick Seraphin					nick@eaglequest.com
President					http://www.eaglequest.com/
EagleQuest, Inc.				(810) 650-4700
Internet Access Services			Rochester, Michigan