Date:      Sun, 9 May 1999 19:41:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris England <cengland@obscurity.org>
To:        otter@tig.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very basic questions...

On Mon, 10 May 1999 otter@tig.com.au wrote:

> Greetings A/all,
>
> 	new to the list, and very pleased to see another couple of skippies here ; ))
>
> 	I was wondering if someone can give me a bit of a pointer, FreeBSD is a
> Unix like system, right? Means I have to use Unix type commands to work the
> thing?  I have nfi re Unix, and GNULinux seems to cost a fortune although
> it is quite trendy these days.

Linux is a similar to the FreeBSD project, and it is also free.
Unfortunately book stores, computer retailers etc... are taking advantage
of it, by selling a little book with the cd and avoiding violation of its
GNU policy by saying "The customer is not paying for Linux, they are
paying for the book".  You can download it for free from any linux mirror.

As for your other question, you will probably be able to stumble through
FreeBSD as you learn in the process.  It might not appeal to you right
off, but once you become a little more comfortable with it.  I'm sure it
will be your OS of choice :)

cheers,

	-Chris England