Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:00:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas Good <tomg@mailhost.nrnet.org>
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some food for thought...just desserts!

On Wed, 31 May 2000, David Johnson wrote:

> Thomas Good wrote:
>
> > I download src and do the build with gmake, then put the binaries where
> > I want em.  It's the same on any box.  So they all look pretty much
> > the same.  You can do this on almost any unix implementation.
>
> Some people don't have the time to do this. I have a mere 400Mhz AMD,
> and compiling everything I have on my box would take a dozen hours or
> more. My general rule of thumb is to install binaries if they are
> available with the OS. If I need to go and specifically download
> something, then I'll compile it.

Hi David,

I disappear into the basement...with a thermos of coffee, some
UFO and BOC tapes (yeah, I'm a baby boomer - pardon the pun) and away
I go...it's extra hassle but so is FBSD.  As a buddy put it during
his first install:  'It ain't plug and play.'  He he.

I have a few boxes here and there, at best a 233, usually a 166...
it does take time to build stuff.  But I like UFO.  ;-)

To wrap up, I think we agree more than we disagree.  Yes?
We will have to find something else to debate, it's been fun.
Do you live near NYC?  You're welcome to stop by...I'll keep the
coffee warm.

Conclusion:  We need to get RMS to write a GNU sysadminsh to replace
the Redhat/SuSe IF.  I hear he can't type anymore so he 'talks' code to
his colleagues.  Anyway, this would be a good thing - but probably
impossible unless the various vendors agreed to comply with base stds.
Or the uname command returned something like 'RedHat' instead of
'Linux'.  I'm sure Barnes and Young already working on this...maybe in
GUI mode their 'x_uname' cmd could return a picture of Alan Cox?

Second conclusion:  We need to lobby ORA to put out a fleet of FBSD books.
I am thinking of writing an open letter to Tim O.  Wanna collaborate?
Who knows, we may write the sequel to Eric Raymond's magnum opus.
Seriously, I would like to pressure ORA a bit.  They have tremendous
resources and are allegedly Open Source advocates.  Maybe they have
forgotten that the BSD licence is more wide open than the GPL?

Meanwhile, I note with disgust that they now offer books on Virus Builder
and 'Learning Redhat Unix' which reminds me of the quick reference guide
that came with my Toyota ('to use the cigarette lighter...') as it covers
the conf interfaces at the expense of the sh prompt.

If you want to pitch in (I am going to write *something* to ORA) just
say the word.  Maybe we could trick Gabriel into helping, eh?  ;-)

Cheers,
Tom

               SVCMC - Center for Behavioral Health
Thomas Good                          tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
IS Coordinator / DBA                 Phone: 718-354-5528
                                     Fax:   718-354-5056