Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 00:43:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Paul Dekkers <psd@worldaccess.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD is slower than Linux !?

Hi

I did some speed tests and I'd like to hear some reaction about this.

	Linux	FreeBSD
dd	2.61	4.95	dd if=/dev/zero of=/test bs=1024 count=5000
gzip	12.50	11.01	gzip -9 test
gunzip	3.86	8.12
sync	4.21	0.9	-> So it seems FreeBSD writes everything to
			   disk directly?! WHY? This makes FreeBSD
			   much slower!
unzips	4.45	41.92	decompress the sendmail distr
compil	353.79	371.87	compile sendmail (makesendmail)

Yes, I used the same (slow) disk on my i486
But I was really surprised discovering that FreeBSD is much slower in disk
access than Linux, so why is the filesystem called FFS (fast-filesystem?!)
;-)

But, my main question -> I think FreeBSD is that slow because it writes
everything to disk directly, without a good cache. Why is this like it is?
This does not make FreeBSD very attractive for me to use as a fileserver
(nfs or samba) or e.g. a mail server.

-= Paul =-