Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:57:33 +0100 (CET)
From:      Markus Egle <egle@ai-lab.fh-furtwangen.de>
To:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AIC 7890/1 Ultra 2 under Linux

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Gero Wedemann wrote:

> I tried to install Linux on my brandnew system:
>
> 	o Dual PII on ASUS P2B-D/P2B-DS motherboard
> 	o IBM DRVS U2W Disk
> 	o UltraPlex SCSI-CD
> 	o Yamaha CRW-4416S CD-writer
>
> The SCSI-Controller is on board and properly detected by linux as an
> AIC 7890/1 Ultra 2. The three drives are detected properly. After that the
> starts and endless loop repeating again and again
>
> scsi: aborting command due to timeout : pid 27, scsi0, channel 0, id3, lun
> 0 0x00 00 00 00 00 00
>
> It seems that the driver seems to detect a SCSI-drive with ID 3 which is
> not on the system (the other drives have the IDs 0-2). I tried booting a
> bootdisk from SuSE 6.0, the newer one from their ftp-server and finally a
> selfmade bootdisk with Kernel 2.2.3. The later has as far as I see on
> Dougs ftp-dirctory the newest driver. All drivers give the same result.
> Playing around with settings of AIC (Ctrl-A ...) does not give any
> difference.
>
> I didn't find anything in the repositry of this list about this. So is
> this a bug of the driver?

I have the same problem. I couldn't install RedHat5.2 (2.0.36) (mount
failed,  after scanning the scsi-bus).
RedHat5.1 (2.0.34) aic7xxx-5.1.10 was successful.

Trying the 2.2.[0-2] showed the same problem. Adding some boot-options,
like: aic7xxx=no_reset  aic7xxx=extended  aic7xxx=no_probe   didn't help.
(How to append two an more options in lilo.conf ?)

I've tried booting without any CDROMS and on both Channels, tested
some options of the SCSI-Adapter, limited the speed, checked the
termination several times, ....

The config is some different:
Tyan Thunder S1836DLU-BX (BIOS 1.16) with AIC7895 (UW)
IBM DRVS UW

I could post all config and error logs but it's about 20k.
I'm wondering why it works with an older kernel version 2.0.34
(compiled with SMP-support).

Some new features in the SCSI driver, that results my kernel-panics?

Regards,

Markus Egle