Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:31:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Tape (HP SureStore T20) trouble

> (sa0:ncr0:0:5:0): SPACE. CDB: 11 1 ff ff ff 0
> (sa0:ncr0:0:5:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:2c,0
> (sa0:ncr0:0:5:0): Command sequence error
> (sa0:ncr0:0:5:0): unable to backspace over one of double filemarks at EOD- opting for safety
>
> and it rewinds the tape even though I opened the nrsa0 device (which
> supposedly does NOT rewind).  I am able to restore from the dump, but
> it seems broken that it does not rewind.  Also, the drive says it supports
(I'm sure you mean "It is broken that it rewinds")
> hardware compression, but 'mt status' says it is unsupported.  Does
> anyone know whats the trouble with either of these problems?

There are actually three problems here:

Problem #1: The driver apparently has a problem backspacing over a filemark.
This indicates to me that this should be treated as if it were a QIC drive
that only has one filemark at EOD. Frankly, I would have loved to enforce
only one filemark at EOD for all except 1/2" reel drives, but folks shot that
down months ago.

Fix: Quirk the drive to have the SA_QUIRK_1FM.

Problem #2: When this failed, the driver tried to eject the tape.
Well, that doesn't work for a lot of drives. This has been discussed on
this list quite a bit recently.

Fix: I proposed a change that will not have the drive rewind, but will
disallow further writes until either a rewind, eject, or a space to EOD
is performed. This fix is in progress. If I didn't have a 100 degree
fever, it'd probably be done some time in the next day or so.

Problem #3: Compression is being reported as the driver tried to use some
'standard' means to enable compression. Unfortunately, the method chosen
is for a mode page that's in SCSI-3, not for SCSI-2.

Fix: use the Device Configuration page first and then try the Date
Compression page). However, this may not always guarantee compression if
compression is enabled via some drive specific mechanism, e.g. a density
code. A manual for this device may have this information. Passing that
information back to someone to fold into the driver will be appreciated.