Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 2001 12:09:30 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
To:        opentrax@email.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MFC? src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC and sound support

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 opentrax@email.com wrote:

> On 28 Dec, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> > Having been hit by this today, how about MFCing the following change?
> >
> >   revision 1.289
> >   date: 2000/11/14 01:11:13;  author: jkh;  state: Exp;  lines: +4 -1
> >   In the year 2000, I think it's perfectly reasonable to include audio
> >   support by default in GENERIC.
> >
> I can't answer for JKH or others but audio has had a history
> of problems, especially durning the boot-up probe stage.
> Problems such that it might lock up the machine under
> certain conditions. Perhaps this is the reason sound may
> never make it into GENERIC.

Yes, I really hope that it doesn't make it into the GENERIC.
GENERIC kernel should provide fully functional and stable machine without
bells and whistles. Sound is a luxury.

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]