Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:55:56 +0530 (IST)
From:      Mohana Krishna Penumetcha <pmk@sasi.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   kernel debugging!!!

we are testing our driver for 4.0 freeBSD. kernel is panicing in the
attach routine with the message "double fault". the longest sequence of
function calls from the attach routine use 180 bytes of kernel stack(this
includes only the local variable), i read in the mailing lists that kernel
stack size is 256 bytes. is there a way i can know what is my current
kernel stack usage?

we enabled the DDB by selecting the DDB option in the configuration file.
After kernel panics control doesn't always go to DDB, did i miss anything
while enabling DDB?

when control goes to DDB, it is printing eip, esp, ebp register values
along with some other information. but when i use trace command, it is
listing the trace from trap only. i think when kernel double faults,
original stack trace won't be available. can i know where is the problem
from the above three register values?

--
mohan