Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 20:47:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam@noc.everquick.net>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bug or feature: "make world" static linking

> Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 22:08:44 +0200
> From: Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>

> > I think that I'll do a clean install on another drive, and post
> > the results of that.
>
> What's in your environment?  What does 'env' say?

Pretty plain:

	PWD=/root
	PAGER=more
	FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES
	HOSTNAME=foundation.brotsman.test
	PS1=\n(\h:\l) [\u:\w]\n\d \t\n\$
	BLOCKSIZE=K
	USER=root
	MACHTYPE=i386--freebsd4.4
	MAIL=/var/mail/root
	LOGNAME=root
	SHLVL=1
	SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash
	HOSTTYPE=i386
	OSTYPE=freebsd4.4
	TERM=cons25
	HOME=/root
	PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
	_=/usr/bin/env

'ldd' reports that the binaries are "not a dynamic executable",
the stripped bins are much larger than distribution, and I note
libc functions such as strcpy() in the .text segment of the
unstripped versions.

FWIW, I just did a clean install on another drive (not the above
env), and observed the same static linking.  No compiler or
linker food in my env.  Out-of-box source, Makefiles, et cetera.

It's nothing insurmountable... I can force dynamic linking, then
use static on /bin, /sbin, /boot, and so on... but I'm puzzled
why _everything_ is [seemingly] static by default.

Has anyone else done a "make buildworld" on 4.4-R?  I can't see
why I'd obtain different behavior than anyone else, but 1) the
binary release is clearly dynamically linked where one expects
and 2) mine are beyond a doubt using static linking.

I'm confused...

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence

Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 11:23:58 +0000 (GMT)
From: A Trap <blacklist@brics.com>
To: blacklist@brics.com
Subject: Please ignore this portion of my mail signature.

These last few lines are a trap for address-harvesting spambots.  Do NOT
send mail to <blacklist@brics.com>, or you are likely to be blocked.