Date:      Sat, 20 May 2000 21:33:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@aracnet.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 18G disk drives

> Well, according to pricewatch, now you can buy the IBM DPSS-318350 18.3G
> 7200rpm drive (Ultra 160) for $375, and the only thing stopping me is that
> I can't find anyone who's used it to tell me if it runs as cool as most
> recent IBM drives, or if it's a hot puppy like the Seagate.
>
> Anyone have any info regarding the DPSS-318350 and heat?

	I've not ran that model, but I thought I'd point out that you can
get some fairly good cooling systems that fit in your 5 1/4 bays. Place
the hard drive right below (or if you opt for that model,) inside and
it'll help keep such problems from happening. You'll also want to make
sure you have a fan in the front of the case. $50 worth of fans will save
you lots of heartbreak and trouble, especially with SCSI :)

						Rick