Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:21:24 +0530 (IST)
From:      "Ashutosh S. Rajekar" <asr@softhome.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux Vs. FreeBSD Networking Performance

Hi,

Recently there was a culomn in byte.com by Moshe Bar, and his tests seemed
to show that FreeBSD-4.1.1 could still beat the Linux 2.4.0 kernel. The
test machine was a 2-way SMP machine, running the a giant locked
FreeBSD-4.1.1 kernel and also a fine-locked 2.4.0 Linux kernel. Here's the
link: http://www.byte.com/column/BYT20010130S0010

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Jonathan Graehl wrote:

> Interesting topic in the linux kernel mailing list (Linux is "a lot" faster than
> FreeBSD):
> http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/latest.html#2
>
> I came to use FreeBSD from Linux for servers because of kqueue.  I stayed
> because I liked the entire system.  I'm sure that Linux does TCP processing as
> fast as possible, and that in-kernel servers (NFS and the TUX webserver) are
> blazingly fast.
>
> I do have Linux 2.4 running on an old machine, but I have no intention of taking
> down my FreeBSD box to dual boot Linux just to compare penis size.  Has anyone
> recently done so?
>
> --
> Jonathan Graehl
>   http://jonathan.graehl.org/

   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._     (\     Ashutosh S. Rajekar
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)    Indra Networks Pvt. Ltd.
  _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'             mailto: asr@softhome.net
 (il),-''  (li),'  ((!.-'               http://www.rajekar.org