Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:50:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Eric Lee Green <eric@estinc.com>
To:        Ken Menzel <kenm@icarz.com>
Cc:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'ch' Errors using chio w-sony changer

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Ken Menzel wrote:
> I only get errors on status from chio status -v or -V.  All other
> flags (sSbI) except of course the -a flag work fine.

> chio: /dev/ch0: CHIOGSTATUS: Invalid argument
> janeway# dmesg
> <cut>
> (ch0:ahc0:0:6:1): READ ELEMENT STATUS. CDB: b8 30 0 0 0 1 0 0 4 0 0 0
> (ch0:ahc0:0:6:1): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0
> (ch0:ahc0:0:6:1): Invalid field in CDB sks:cc,1
> (ch0:ahc0:0:6:1): READ ELEMENT STATUS. CDB: b8 30 0 0 0 1 0 0 4 0 0 0

Yep, that's the bar code reader (or lack thereof). When I implemented the
bar code stuff in 'mtx' for the Exabyte 220 I had the same problem when I
tried it with an autoloader, that's when I put in the 'back-off' stuff to
re-issue the request without the barcode flag if I got that error (except
that the Linux request sense chops off the tail of the sense data and I
couldn't get at which field was in error on Linux, GRR!! FreeBSD was much
more sensible there). Probably ch0 should do the same thing, though I have
my doubts about the desirability of kernel-mode changer drivers in the
first place, given the existence of pass<n> and the slow speed of
changers, which makes a user-mode driver plenty fast... but then, I'm
biased because I wrote a user-mode changer driver for FreeBSD that uses
pass<x> :-). Since ch0 is part of the FreeBSD kernel, it probably should
work right (shrug), even if it's not really necessary now that the pass0
device works (and works well, I might add).

BTW, if you want to try it, 'mtx' works fine on FreeBSD.
http://mtx.sourceforge.net . Also works fine on Linux, Solaris 8, Solaris
2.[67], and IRIX. Uses same syntax on all of these guys, just uses a
different device name for the passthru driver (e.g. /dev/pass1 on FreeBSD,
/dev/sg1 on Linux, some godaweful concoction on Solaris, ....). With the
latest version 1.2.11, it's just a case of "./configure ; make ; make
install", thanks to the wonders of GNU Autoconf.

--
Eric Lee Green                         eric@estinc.com
Software Engineer                      "The BRU Guys"