Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:53:23 -0300 (BRST)
From:      Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Setting memory allocators for library functions.

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Matt Dillon wrote:

>     The problem is a whole lot more complex then you think.  Dealing with
>     overcommit is not simply counting mapped pages, there are all sorts
>     of issues involved.  But the biggest gotcha is that putting in
>     overcommit protection will not actually save your system from
>     dying a terrible death.  It in fact makes it *more* likely that the
>     system will die a horrible death,

Indeed, but since a lot of the non-overcommit fans will
not believe this, why not let them find out by themselves
when they write a patch for it?

And maybe, just maybe, they'll succeed in getting their
idea of non-overcommit working with a patch which doesn't
change dozens of places in the kernel and doesn't add
any measurable overhead.

(a while ago we had our yearly discussion on linux-kernel
about this, after some time somebody showed up with code
to do overcommit ... and, of course, the conclusion that
it wouldn't work since he got to understand the problem
better while writing the code ;))

regards,

Rik
--