Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 05:29:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Sung Nae Cho <sucho2@quasar.phys.vt.edu>
To:        "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?= M. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fandi=F1o?=" <jm.fandino@fadesa.es>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Has anybody been having problem with latest Snapshot for 4.3?  (Release 4.3-20010718-STABLE)

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Sung Nae Cho wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, José M. Fandiño wrote:
>
> > Sung Nae Cho wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Has anyone run across package install failure with the latest snapshot
> > > (4.3-20010718-STABLE) which was released on Wednesday, July 18?  I'm
> > > reinstalling my FreeBSD using snapshots since it seems to be faster than
> > > CVSUP and making the world.  During the install, when it asks you if you
> > > want to install "Linux Binaries", if I say yes, the installation abruptly
> > > ends with the error, "Segmentation fault (core dumped) and says something
> > > about signal 11 ......"  I thought it was a bug in new snapshot, so I
> > > tried installing snapshot released on July 17, July 16, (I had been using
> > > it prior) and those installation causes the same problem!  So, I've
> > > reinstalled the snapshot edition 20010718 and this time, I answered "NO"
> > > for "Linux binaries part" then exited the install.  I've logged in as root
> > > and ran /stand/sysinstall then "Configure" -> "Packages" -> "FTP" and same
> > > thing happens.  I get "Segmentation fault (core dumped) singal 11 ....
> > > error."  Is this a problem with the FreeBSD FTP site or bug in release?
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/
> >
> > > Yours sincerely,
> > > Sung N. Cho,
> > > Friday, July 20, 2001.
> > > Dept. of Physics,
> > > Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University,

> > > with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the message
> >

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the info.  But, after reading this article, I don't think it's
> the hardware failure for my case.  I am compiling kernel, all other ports
> flawlessly under FreeBSD.  Also, I had no problem installing Redhat 7.1
> and compiling Linux kernel 2.4.6 (did it yesterday!).  I've tried
> reinstalling FreeBSD via ftp 7 times (5 times yesterday, 2 times today)
> all with different settings in BIOS for I thought it might be the settings
> in BIOS that was causing the problem.  But, for all 7 tries, it always
> fails at exactly same point of installation, i.e., when the installation
> asks if "linux binaries for compatibility" should be enabled.  If I choose
> yes, then it tries to grab the file from FreeBSD ftp site and it crashes
> with "segment fault (core dumped).... something about signal 11"  and it
> says that it'll try to save the current configuration and computer reboots
> after a while.  If it was a hardware problem, I doubt it would happen at
> exactly same spot for 7 installation trials! Now, FreeBSD is installed and
> running.  But, unfortunately, when I try to grab some packages from ftp
> using /stand/sysinstall, it still gives the same error at exactly same
> spot!  It tries to grab the package from FreeBSD ftp site... then I get
> that segment fault error!  However, grabbing the Distribution files via
> ftp from /stand/sysinstall works flawlessly.  I'm at the moment installing
> [...]

Hi, again!

This is a follow up!

In the OPTION part of the /stand/sysinstall,  I've modified my FreeBSD
release version from  4.3-20010718-STABLE to 4.3-RELEASE and opend the
PACKAGES from one of the RELEASE ftp sites and I no longer get the
"segment fault (core dump), signal 11" error.  I'm able to download the
packages from 4.3-RELEASE sites.  But, I'm still getting "segment fault
(core dump) error when I try to download packages via /stand/sysinstall ->
Configure -> Packages from SNAPSHOT ftp sites!  What's up with this?

Sung