Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 2002 09:23:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Taming Netscape Navigator?

Thanks for all the feedback. My responses are below to to different
postings. Plus I have some more comments and questions at the bottom.

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Freddie Cash wrote:

> begin  Somewhere around 16:41 on March 01, 2002, Jeremy wrote:

I don't use Outlook :)

> pkg_deinstall netscape
> pkg_add -r linux-opera

It's probably been over a year since I last used Opera. It was quite
unstable and unusable.

> Haven't had a browser-related problem in close to a year now.  :)  Even
> have Java running now.

I'll have to try it again.

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> There's no real file I/O happening (unless you're really short on RAM and
> thrashing the swap), it's just being painfully slow about calculating out
> the table.

It is also slow for me to just look at long 100KB webpages that have very
little formatting (and no tables).

> It's a lot slower rendering big tables (like 10 vs. 30 minutes, for some
> *BIG* tables I've passed through 'em), and isn't near as snappy overall,

You are patient. After a couple minutes, I log on remotely to kill all the
netscapes.

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Mike Meyer wrote:

> written. I rm -rf ~/.netscape every time I run it, though.

I'll have to try that (after I backup my bookmarks to a different
directory).

> I use w3m. When I hit a page that bobby would disapprove of most
> highly, I hit 2M and skipstone opens on that page. If it sucks so
> badly that the Mozilla rendering engine configured the way I like it
> doesn't make it readable and I really need to read it, I hit 3M and up
> pops Netscape.

I use links as my browser of choice -- probably around 85% of my browsing.
I'll have to see if it has those try-another-browser features.

It has been almost 20 months since I have last used w3m.
In http://www.bsdtoday.com/2000/May/Features167.html, I said "w3m may
become my web browser of choice." I need to try it again. (Thanks for the
reminder!)

(As for those "2M" and "3M" shortcuts, I also have a shortcut: I have a
little app where I first copy/select a URL and then click on this
application; left click=lynx, right-click=links, and middle is netscape.)

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Cliff Sarginson wrote:

> day. It just disappears. I have an alias set for "rm ~/.netscape/lock".

I have a script to kill all netscapes|navigators and remove the lock too.

> But do you mean netscape 4.7x ? Or Mozilla, or netscape-mozilla, or
> Linux-netscape-mozilla, or netscape-6-mozilla, or stawberry ice-cream ?

I didn't get into specifics about netscape, because all versions seem to
behave the same under different BSD and Linux operating systems.

> Opera, buggy as it is, beats the pants off any other browser I have
> used. When it gets stabilised I will be very happy. It tends to take up

Opera was fast last I used it, but the old versions I used crashed
multiple times a day. Netscape is usable for me; usually it only crashes
once a week (even when it is used probably over 100 pages per day and
sometimes over 25 windows open at a time). I just don't like netscape
getting so sluggish that I can't work on anything else (because my window
manager, blackbox, becomes unusable.)

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Why not change browsers?  Opera has several UNIX versions of their browser,
> and if the UNIX versions are anything like the Windows version, it should be
> very solid and reliable--about 100 times more solid and reliable than
> Netscape, which has got to be one of the worst browsers around.

"Should be". I haven't used any full-feature, graphical browser that is
more reliable than navigator.

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Cliff Sarginson wrote:

> I think the message here is, if you can, change browsers.
> I have to use it for my work.
> Fortunately I don't have to use it for my pleasure :)

Well, I'll try opera again and maybe also skipstone (and other "lite"
mozillas).

Also, I need to try "dillo" again. It is partially based on gzilla, but
has had some sporatic, but active development. But it is lacking many
features -- so only an in-between-links-and-netscape option.

But what about "controlling" netscape?

How or why does it make my X and/or window manager unusable?

Has anyone ran netscape as a different user and set different
limits/priorities for it?

Thanks again for the feedback.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/