Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:07:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ralph Forsythe <rf-list@centerone.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Central source/compile?

This isn't so much freebsd-isp related except that these systems are all
in an ISP environment, but anyway...

The scenario is, I have a number of FreeBSD machines - they are all kept
up on the same levels of code, however patching them all one at a time is
a pain in the arse, especially since some are recycled slower machines
that do their BSD tasks quite well - except for compiling the world.

I know I could just have my source tree update daily via daily.local on a
box, and probably share that somehow.  What I'd like to do however, is
have it compile on that box - and compile only once.  Then be able to
"make installworld" from any other machine somehow, or be able to transfer
those binaries over in such a way that I can drop to single user mode
(gotta love out of band console access!) and install them that way.

Any ideas?  This would greatly simplify my life in keeping everything
patched.  All of my boxes run the same kernels and base OS, with various
ports and packages installed on top for whatever the box does (hooray
standardization!), so having a central up-to-date code store I could
install from would be a godsend in terms of patching ability.

Help, please!

Thanks,
-rf