Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 01:05:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9 makes + 1 caused panic...

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier stands accused of saying:
> > >
> > > fp is dereferenced a few lines above, and I can't imagine how the structure
> > > would have become write-protected by accident...
> > >

> > 	hardware or software bug then? :(
>
> Almost certainly hardware; modulo any judgement by John wrt. the changes
> he's made in the VM area in the last few days.  Most of them had to do
> with accidentally unmapping more than was apprpriate, which would
> have given you a 'page not present' fault, not a 'write protect' fault.

	Okay, I have the new pmap code in place, and a fresh kernel...tomorrow
I'll try once more to force the machine to panic...I'm working at getting a
new "simple"  machine put together that I can pressure test and put online,
but its goingn to take a couple of weeks, so have to make due with what
I have now :(

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org