Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 15:10:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
Cc:        mpcd@freebsd.org, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Snazzier FreeBSD home page

On Sat, 8 Jun 1996, Sean Kelly wrote:

> Seriously, I could are less how many times other people have visited a
> particular page.  Low number, I read the page.  High number, I read
> the page.

I suppose the relevant question here (for which I don't have a
handy answer) is whether or not you represent web surfers in
general, or if you are an exception.   8-)

I think graphical counters should be banned, since they usually
break leaving your browser hanging until you figure out that its
just another damn counter image you are waiting for and hit the
big red stop button.  There is also the fact of their wild
inaccuracy because they (the ones I've actually looked into) are
only triggered by browsers coming that (a) support images and (b)
have image loading turned on, never mind caching.  Also, people
have been known to hook them up to random number generators.
(Cooool! maybe we should upgrade freefall to -current so I can
pipe /dev/random into the home page!!!)

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================