Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 18:55:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic with ahc driver

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> >  I'm getting:
> >
> >panic: ahc1:A:0: Target did not send an IDENTIFY message.  LASTPHASE =
> >0x0, SAVED_TCL = 0x0

> >  I've looked at the code, and there is a comment in NO_IDENT case about
> >alternatives to a panic.  Is it really that serious?  If I converted the
> >panic() call to a printf() could I really break something badly? :)
>
> You don't have the latest driver, although the latest one may not fix this
> problem either.  -stable and 2.2 have the same driver, but the driver in
> 2.1.7R is old.

  Sorry, I just remembered I forgot to include that.  I actually cvsup'ped
stable this yesterday. It still calls itself 2.1.7, but I guess it really
is 2.1.7++.  aic7xxx.c is rev 1.29.2.32 (stable version number).

  I just checked current and stable sources on ftp.freebsd.org, and it
appears that some things in aic7xxx.c haven't been committed to stable
yet, including changes to the NO_IDENT case.  These changes leave out the
panic.

> >Tom
> >

> --
> Justin T. Gibbs