Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 15:11:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        Julian Assange <proff@suburbia.net>
Cc:        meditation@gnu.ai.mit.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bzip vs gzip

Seems to me I recall reading in the original posting of bzip, that the
author warned against commercial usage of it because of potential patent
problems.

Ah, here it is:

>From sewardj@cs.man.ac.uk Mon Sep  9 22:44:21 PDT 1996
Article: 2129 of comp.os.linux.announce
From: Julian Seward <sewardj@cs.man.ac.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
Subject: bzip 0.21, a statistical data compressor
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 08:14:55 GMT

[stuff removed]
The command-line interface is very similar to that of gzip, so you can
use bzip as a drop-in replacement for gzip, if you like.  For more
information, and the distribution, point your browser at:

   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/arch/people/j-seward/index.html

Because of possible patent infringement problems, you should
not use bzip for commercial purposes.