Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 12:54:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need pointer to docs.

Thanks. I couldn't find pfconfig on mine either. (2.1.5) How, then, do I
configure /dev/bpf0 for use with tcpdump? tcpdump complains about 'device
not configured /dev/bpf0'? Or does tcpdump automatically make the bpf(4)
calls if the interface supports promiscuous mode?

I wish the log file system was working -- but you've confirmed what I
suspected. There was one paragraph in the 4.4BSD SMM that implied
everything worked, but all the utilities weren't written. Are there any
plans for implementing LFS?

-- Jay

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Doug White wrote:

->On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Jay D. Nelson wrote:
->
->> Where can I find pfconfig.8 or userland docs on bpf0?
->
->The device interface is on bpf(4).  I don't have a pfconfig(8) on my
->2.2-GAMMA machine.
->
->> Also -- are there any docs on LFS -- pros, cons, etc.?
->
->According to newlfs(8), LFS isn't working at current.
->
->If you're looking for theory type stuff, the mount_lfs(8) command has a
->nice bibliography.  The freebsd-fs@freebsd.org mailing list may have some
->opinions, as well as the mail archive.
->
->Hope this helps.
->
->Doug White                              | University of Oregon
->Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
->http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major
->