Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 00:19:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, tim@futuresouth.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_de.c ????

On Wed, 7 May 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> Jaye Mathisen stands accused of saying:
> Er, I think Matt Thomas would be very surprised to hear that his
> driver is "dead".  I don't really think you have any sort of right
> to go making those claims.

OK, in the FreeBSD vein, it's wounded.  I'm sure it works fine in other
places, hell, my latest Solaris release just added support for oodles of
21140-AC based cards, so they must think it's good.  (1 year after FreeBSD
was pushing them hard).

> Kinda pathetic, really.  Especially from people (30 or 40 cards?)
> that obviously have the resources, and would be quite happy to
> benefit from someone else's hard work at no expense to themselves.

I have offered to pay for services in the past for various attempts to get
something I needed for my operation working, but have never received any
interest in anybody taking my money.  If it's never worked in the past, I
didn't see any reason to try now.

I have offered new hardware (Mylex and disks) to anybody that would be
willing to take a whack at writing a driver for it.  (Not that anybody is
required to by any stretch, only that I'm willing to commit resources to
things that I need or could really use.).

Hell, I provide the site that Matt uses to distribute his stuff.  Not that
it's a big deal at the time, other than setting it up provided me a way to
access his work sooner.

> > And so I'll start purchasing intel cards, and 8 months from now, the
> > Novell NE2000 cards will be the hot card to have.
>
> Or, you can help with the 'de' cards and keep your inventory.

So tell me how?  I will send a card to anybody that will make some effort
to fix it.  Give me an address, and it's on it's way.  I can provide
machines to test it on.

I have 3 or 4 issues that I consider moderately serious floating out
there.  I have kernel coredumps, I have I think any diagnostic that a
person could need to fix it.  What I don't have is takers.

> > It's like FreeBSD is always at this "80%" useful stage.  It always seems
>
> I've ranted enough about this before.  Let me just say "volunteer testing"
> one more time.

Well, 80% was way too low a number, I should've said something more like
95% or so. Certainly it meets a vast majority of my needs.

I test every release that comes out, and send in bug reports as I find
'em, I have machines whose only purpose in life is to be wipable the
moment some significant FreeBSD event occurs.

I contribute where I can.  Drivers are not my thing.  They're black magic.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to offend anybody, only express my pov.